Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Camping We Will Go, A Camping We Will Go....

I didn't think I would be going back to camp at 52.  When Hannah asked Judy and me to go to ACU Camp as group leaders, our first response was "aren't we too old and out of shape?"  Of course, Hannah assured us we were neither and we naively believed her!

Actually, we found we weren't too horribly old and out of shape (for camp, that is).  Although I think our plan for next year (if we go), is to be thinner and in better shape, we did just fine this year.  I'm actually proud of us.  We were able to keep up reasonably well with 24-year old Hannah and definitely functioned better on less sleep.

The week was wonderful!  It wasn't perfect but it was great.  Our little "color group" (consisting of 17 sixth graders) started off a bit quiet and timid, but by the end of the week most of them had come out of their shells.  Meal times seemed to be a great opportunity to get to know the kids.  We were able to interact with them in a more relaxed atmosphere and that helped in our classroom time.

My favorite part of the week was the blessing time on Thursday night.  The group leaders write an individual blessing to each of the kids in their color group.  We included a scripture for each child that we had chosen especially for him or her.  Then one by one we read their blessings to them.  The kids seemed to enjoy hearing words of praise and encouragement.  We spray-painted little wooden boxes gold (treasure boxes) and put a "gold" one dollar coin in each to remind them that they are "God's Special Treasure."  It was a blessing for us as much as for them.

At the first of the week I might have told you I wouldn't be going back.  I was definitely out of my comfort zone working with kids older than I am used to teaching.  However, by the end of the week I was hooked and was already thinking of ideas to incorporate next year!  It's kind of one of those things where one year is just enough to really understand what it's all about and the second year would be building on that knowledge.

So, I guess I'm proof that a 52-year old CAN go back to camp!

1 comment: